YOUR FUTURE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Recent years have seen increasing mobile wireless traffic resulting in increasing numbers of RF filters in smartphones. RF filters based on Bulk Acoustic Waves (BAW) devices could play a significant role in enabling 5G technology’s higher data rates if the devices succeeded in operating at higher frequencies (between 3.5 GHz and 6 GHz). For future high frequency BAW devices, the layer of piezoelectric material (AlN, AlScN) must be considerably thinner than currently achievable.
The objective of this thesis is to fabricate, by sputtering, high quality AlN and AlScN layers with thicknesses < 1µm on Si substrates. To achieve this goal, the candidate will introduce and optimize the quality of different intermediate layers (electrodes, buffer layers). Based on the results, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to propose a new layer stack for the future generation of BAW devices.
In particular, the candidate will:
- Gain fundamental understanding of growth principles in thin film sputtering and influence of process parameters.
- Experimentally characterize thin films (mechanical profilometer, XRD, SEM, FTIR).
- Apply the theoretical and experimental knowledge acquired during the first part of the thesis to elaborate new concepts for BAW layer stacks.
- Master student in material science, physics, semiconductor technologies, microsystem technology or similar fields.
- Experience in cleanroom would be appreciated.
- Experience with experimental data processing software (e.g. Matlab, Mathematica, Python,…) is also beneficial.
- Autonomous, well organized and enjoy working in a dynamic and multicultural team.
- Oral and written communication skills in English.
- Start date: March-April 2021.
- Duration: 6 Months.
- Payment: € 1.500 gross (38.5 Hours/Week).
- Additional Benefits: free coffee/milk, € 4.- food allowance per working day in restaurants, homeoffice, no coretime...
- State-of-the-art laboratories and equipment, including the opportunity to work in a cleanroom environment.
- An international scientific environment and contacts with our industrial network.
- Opportunity to work on a hot topic with industrial collaborations.
BECOME PART OF SILICON AUSTRIA LABS
The top research center for electronic based systems (EBS).
Unfold the future, unfold yourself.