AVL is the world’s largest independent company for development, simulation and testing in the automotive industry, and in other sectors. As a global technology leader, AVL provides concepts, solutions and methodologies in the fields of e-mobility, ADAS and autonomous driving, vehicle integration, digitalization, virtualization, Big Data, and much more.
In this position you will report directly to the Team Lead Strength & Thermal Simulation and become part of the innovative Simulation & Digital Services Department, working closely with engineers from various disciplines.
You will develop models for thermal, electro-chemical, mechanical, ageing and failure mode analysis of Li-ion Battery cells. Simulate and correlate complete battery cell, module, and pack designs with analytical calculations and numerical methods. Additionally you will design, and coordinate tests to calibrate and validate your models in collaboration with our battery cell team, mechanical and thermal test engineers.
- Develop methods, tools and processes to support modelling activities to predict mechanical, thermal and degradation behavior of batteries
- Model thermal runaway reaction kinetics to predict gas and heat generation as a crucial input to battery module and pack simulation and desig
- Cover the complete spectrum from analytical engineering models to complex multiphysical models
- Collaborate with fellow simulation engineers and engineers in other functions
- Collaborate with test engineers to develop and improve test plans and procedures, and analyze tests for model calibration and validation
- Work on ad hoc related tasks or projects provided by management
- Stay up-to-date on lithium-ion battery research and development
- BSc, MSc, or PhD or equivalent degree in an Engineering Discipline, Math, Physics, Chemistry or Material Sciences.
- Solid understanding and working knowledge of fundamental physics and numerical methods
- Comfortable with complex and new situations and passion to solve challenging problems
- Experience with Python
- Experience with designing cell testing procedures and interpreting their results is a plus
- Knowledge of materials and cell design is a plus
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as autonomously
- Target-oriented, driven workstyle with analytic problem-solving skills
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German is beneficial
- Flexitime Regulation
- Award-winning Training Programs
- Health Management
- Parental Leave Management (Maternity/Paternity Protection & Educational Leave)
Annual Remuneration: Due to the Austrian Equal Treatment Act we are obligated to state the annual gross remuneration (full-time) for this position as a basis for negotiation: €50,400.00. We will, in any case, offer market-conforming payment taking qualifications and professional experience into account.