YOUR FUTURE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Recent years have seen increasing efforts in pushing the size of optoelectronic devices down to the micro- and nanoscale. Miniaturized photonic sensors are of particular interest as they can potentially be integrated in small, cheap, and portable devices. The objective of this thesis is to characterize existing photonic sensors on chip and at a wafer level with a special focus on integrated mid-IR light-sources. The candidate will have the chance to participate to the design of a new generation of sensors with enhanced performance in the mid-IR spectral region.
In particular, the candidate will:
- gain a fundamental understanding of the principle and properties of the current devices
- improve the existing testbench for the characterization of integrated mid-IR light sources
- experimentally characterize novel mid-IR integrated sensors based on the investigated sources and other photonic elements (e.g., waveguides or photonic crystals), and analyze the measured data
- apply the theoretical and experimental knowledge acquired during the first part of the thesis to elaborate new concepts for mid-IR sensors
- Master student in physics, photonics, microsystem technology or similar fields.
- Good teamwork skills, well organized work strategies.
- Hands-on experience in an optics lab.
- Experience with control-, evaluation- and visualization software (e.g. Matlab, Python).
- Good communication skills in English.
- Advanced MS office skills.
- Start date: March 2021.
- Duration: 6 Months.
- Payment: € 1.500 gross (38.5 Hours/Week).
- Additional Benefits: free coffee/milk, € 4.- food allowance per working day in restaurants, homeoffice, no coretime...
- State-of-the-art laboratories and equipment, including the opportunity to work in a cleanroom environment.
- An international scientific environment and contacts with our industrial network.
- Opportunity to work on a hot topic with industrial collaborations.
BECOME PART OF SILICON AUSTRIA LABS
The top research center for electronic based systems (EBS).
Unfold the future, unfold yourself.