YOUR FUTURE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Spectroscopic ellipsometry (SE) is a non-contact, non-destructive and non-invasive optical technique for investigating optical properties (complex permittivity) of thin-films.The technique can be also used to characterize the thin-film composition, thin-film layer information, surface roughness, film thickness as well as crystalline nature and carrier concentration of thin-film materials. The objective of this thesis is to study SE in a wide-spectral range from UV to IR region of oxide and nitride thin-films grown by plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition (PECVD), plasma-enhanced atomic layer deposition (PEALD) and also sputtering.
In particular, the candidate will:
- Perform SE measurement on oxide and nitride thin-films, data analysis.
- Special focus on the interpretation of vibrational modes of chemical bonds of oxides, sub-oxides and nitrides grown by PECVD and PEALD with different thin-film growth conditions.
- Support and work with process engineers to correlate the results with the thin-film growth processes.
- Work with process engineer to optimize optical properties of thin-films for photonic applications.
- Scientific report, documentation, presentation and paper writing.
- Master student in materials science, surface science, nanotechnology, applied physics, optics or similar fields.
- Good teamwork and communication skills.
- Experience with clean-room environment would be appreciated.
- Experience with ellipsometry is a plus.
- Start date: March 2021
- Payment: € 1500 gross (38.5 Hours/Week).
- Additional Benefits: free coffee/milk, € 4.- food allowance per working day in restaurants, homeoffice, no coretime...
- State-of-the-art laboratories and equipment, including the opportunity to work in a cleanroom environment.
- An international scientific environment and contacts with our industrial network.
- Opportunity to work on a hot topic with industrial collaborations.
BECOME PART OF SILICON AUSTRIA LABS
The top research center for electronic based systems (EBS).
Unfold the future, unfold yourself.