YOUR FUTURE RESPONSIBILITIES:
In our previous work, we have designed and fabricated novel resonant piezo actuated silicon-based MEMS mirrors with one of the highest optical scan angles per unit watt ever reported. MEMS mirrors are suitable to be used in wide variety of fields like augmented reality, LIDAR and pico-projection applications. An important step towards further improvements of MEMS mirrors is the in-depth study of their current performance.
The Master´s Thesis will deal with development of advanced optical techniques for characterization of the mirror performance: angle resolved mirror deformation, amplitude, and phase of the mirror response. The main task will be to study different mirror geometries and different PZT materials and to develop, study, evaluate and compare different complex excitation signals for optimal transduction. Later, the student can support the design of the next generation of micromirrors and the developments toward the final pico-projection applications.
- Master Student in Applied Optics, Micro-Nanotechnologies, Instrumentation and Measurements, or similar.
- Programming skills (ex: Python, Matlab or LabView)
- Skills in optics, optical instrumentation as well as cleanroom experience are highly desirable.
- Previous CAD design experience is a plus (ex: SolidWorks)
- Ability to tackle and solve practical problems, Teamwork skills
Silicon Austria Labs (SAL) is on the way to become a top European research center for electronic based systems. In the network of science and industry, we carry out research at the highest global research level and thus create the basis for new types of products and processes. SAL is divided into four divisions: Sensor Systems, RF Systems, Power Electronics and System Integration, and is equipped by state-of the art equipment, consisting of several optical labs, C5/C8 cleanroom facilities, backend processes for micro-optical packaging, as well as several prototyping facilities.
- Start date: as soon as possible
- Duration: at least 6 Months
- Payment: € 1.500 gross (38.5 Hours/Week)
- Extras: free coffee, 4€ food allowance per working day, family/kids friendly environment,...
BECOME PART OF SILICON AUSTRIA LABS
The top research center for electronic based systems (EBS).
Unfold the future, unfold yourself.